Blog Archive

Sunday, December 13, 2015

An Easy Holiday Appetizer and the Spices of Morocco

Cheese ball, crackers, candles, and shells

An Easy Holiday Appetizer and the Spices of Morocco
by Victoria Challancin

For a small dinner party for a group of girlfriends last week I was asked to bring an appetizer.  I didn't want anything that had to be served (or carried hot), nor anything too fussy, yet I needed something festive and tasty...What could be easier than a cheese ball?  A bit retro, of course, but always good. After searching the web for a slightly different take on the traditional cheese ball, I came up with this lovely version from the always reliable The Kitchn.  Of course I couldn't just leave it alone, so throwing it together in my own way, I came up with a slightly modified version.  It couldn't have been easier.  Delicious and easy--who doesn't need a recipe like this during the holidays


Christmas Gorgonzola Cheese Ball with Dried Figs and Honey

Cook's Notes:  I used only 190g of cream cheese as that is how Philadelphia brand packages it for Mexico, instead of 227g or a cup.  I also used a lovely hunk of Gorgonzola from Costco instead of a regular blue cheese.  The food processor made this incredibly fast to prepare.  The original recipe called for 1 cup cream cheese, 1 cup blue cheese, 1/3 cup dried figs, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds

Recipe:  Gorgonzola Cheese Ball with Dried Figs and Honey
(My version, based on one from The Kitchn)

2/3 cup dried figs
190g cream cheese (a 227g block would also work)
1 1/2 cups gorgonzola cheese, in chunks
2 to 3 tablespoons honey, depending on how sweet you want it
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds

Lightly toast almond slices in a small dry skillet until golden.  Set aside to cool.

Place dried figs in food processor and pulse to finely chop.
Add cream cheese, gorgonzola and honey.  Process until smooth, leaving it a bit chunky, if desired.

Spread almonds on a large plate.  Form a ball with the cheese mixture.  Roll the ball on the plate with the almonds, making sure it is completely covered with almonds.  Wrap the cheese ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.  Serve with baguette toasts or crackers.

Christmas Gorgonzola Cheese Ball with Dried Figs and Honey

The Spices of Morocco

Other posts you might enjoy on spices (with lots of photos to inspire!):

Ras el Hanout:  A Magical Blend of Moroccan Spices


The Spices of Morocco--the Blends  (I love these photos of various blends)


When writing about spices, sometimes I think letting the photos speak for themselves is enough.  I only wish I could capture the smells...

Having said that, though, I read back over some old posts and thought I would repeat this little bit from a post I did a couple of years ago:

In my very private musings, I secretly think of myself as The Spice Queen.  I know, I know...it is a bit pretentious and over-blown, but truly I gravitate to cuisines that use ample amounts of spices and I, myself love to toast and grind all manner of blends, from Ras el Hanout, curry blends (see my Garam Masala here), Middle Eastern baharat (or Dukkah, or Za'atar), Cajun blends, Quatre Epices, Jerk Seasoningand so many more.  Whether this love comes from deep in my DNA or simply is an offshoot from the countless spices markets I have loved all over the world, spices do permeate my kitchen and my life.  I hunger for them; I seek them out; I read about them; I lecture on them; but most importantly, I use them...

Once when my son was a teenager returning from a year of study in France, he commented off-handedly on the way our house smelled.

Aghast, I said, "Our house smells?????"

"Of spices, Mum.  I always smell spices when I come in the door.  I think I missed that smell."

Whew!  The smell of spices.  A good thing.  A good thing indeed.



Below are some photos from the October trip I led to Morocco.  Just a sample.  I think my "spice album" had almost 100 shots of spices just from this trip!  Here are a few:


In Marrakech:  spices, incense, clay pumice stones, and more


The green in the background is henna





An example of a specific blend of spices from the Rissani souk--this one for fish, I think


The whole spices of one shop's ras el hanout blend.  Of course I had to buy some.  Of course



The reddest (unedited) paprika ever and dried roses, which figure into some Moroccan spice blends

A spice grinder, chile powder, and a variety of whole spices ready for grinding



Those lovely baby roses again...and handmade spoons, often made of either olive or lemon wood



If only I could capture the scents for you...if only


An extended view of an earlier photo.  More than just spices:  clay pumice stones, cowrie shells, kohl bottles and kohl itself in tiny vials...The barely visible bins in the upper righthand corner are pastas


The spices provided by La Maison Arabe for their cooking classes:  saffron, cinnamon, white pepper, ginger, turmeric, cumin, chile, ground coriander, paprika, and salt.  These are the main spices used in Moroccan cuisine.



Cinnamon in a jar


A box of spices at La Maison Arabe's cooking school in the country outside of Marrakech


Sometimes you see some sadly motley spices that no one would possibly buy.  These are mounded around an aluminum mold and are stale and unappealing, except for the presentation, which I find oddly fascinating.


©Victoria Challancin.  All Rights Reserved.

Flavors of the Sun International Cooking School
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico








8 comments:

Eha said...

I don't think the aroma of spices permeates my home ALL of the time . . but friends so oft also comment: 'what on earth is that smell?' :) !! Love all of yours bar jerk seasoning which geographically simply does not much enter my world . . . but ras el hanout - how many different versions amongst my half-dozen spice merchants: 'top of the shop' indeed: some produce two!! Just one dislike - too much in the way of rose petals . . . Thinking of my spice bills for small envelopes of this or that am peagreen with envy looking at your glorious piles of colour and taste. And tho' cheese balls have been on the backburner awhile, yours is so fast to make, I like the use of Philadelphia and just have to try it for the use of my favourite figs . . . thank you . . .

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I couldn't cook without spices! I'm so reliant on them now. And I haven't made a cheese ball in ages. Thanks for reminding me Victoria!! This one looks like an absolute beauty :D

Petra @ CrumblesAndKale said...

Such amazing pictures, all those vibrant colors! And the cheese balls looks fabulous :)

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef said...

I love visiting a home that wafts the aroma of spices. It shows that the cook is interested in flavor.

Like you and Lorraine, cooking (and eating) wouldn't be much fun without spices. Those photos made me swoon a little bit.

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

Your pictures reach my soul. This recipe will be a favorite of my husband.

Nagi@RecipeTinEats said...

I just love looking at all your photos! All those vibrant colours are a feast to the eyes. And those spices? Can't live without 'em!

Hotly Spiced said...

I think the title of 'Spice Queen' suits you well. I am all for quick and easy appetisers for Christmas; it's just such a busy time of year and there's so many other dishes to prepare that some things that can be created in a flash are very, very welcome. I do love cheese balls and yes, they take me back to the '70's but all that is old is new again anyway. Love how you added gorgonzola! xx

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Oh to wander the spice markets with you. The cheese ball is perfect in that it takes no time to put together during this busy time of the year. Merry Christmas to you Vicki.